ONE ARTIST A WEEK
ONE ARTIST A WEEK questions the dynamic of quickly changing trends, topics and "fashions" in the international art world and asks how each of the participating artists individually responds to this development.
The one-week residency + exhibition programme addresses artists who want to develop and present their work in Athens following an intensive creative and learning process.
ONE ARTIST A WEEK not only offers accommodation and exhibition space in the center of Athens, it also supports the artists with press, media and communication work, and helps to set up the exhibition/presentation at the end of the week.
Find the current and upcoming shows >>> here.
And the past shows presented 2017 during the Athens Documenta 14 >>> here.
• Living and working space in downtown Athens (7 days/6 nights, Monday-Sunday)
• A four-day curated solo show in downtown Athens venues
• Promotional support, press and media networking
• Customized introduction into ancient and contemporary Greek culture
• Documentation on the FaveLAB project website.
Price: 350 Euro per week & artist.
Disciplines: Artists working in all disciplines, designers, actors, dancers, art journalists, crafters are welcome to apply. Please note: applicants must be 30+ years old.
Application: Email us your application including a short introduction of yourself (max 200 words, CV, website link, 4 to 6 images of your work) stating your incentive to participate in ONE ARTIST A WEEK.
Dates: Residency periods can be requested between December 2019 and March 2020. The residency week is always from Monday to Sunday.
Please state your preferred dates in your application.
Deadline: 30 April 2019
1+1 (ONE PLUS ONE)
14-day Residency & exhibition project in Athens / Greece
1+1 is a residency and exhibition project for international artists who wish to explore Athens’ rich cultural life and opportunities and present their work in a local art venue.
1+1 provides shared accommodation and working space in central Athens for two weeks and two (1+1) artists who wish to share experiences and take part in a duo show in Athens. The artists will present their work at the end of their 14-day residency period in a four-day curated exhibition in a downtown Athens art venue.
The 1+1 residency includes a customized introduction into ancient and contemporary Greek culture (two guided visits at Unesco sites, museums and art venues), individual networking advice, tips on Athens secret addresses, as well as curatorial assistance/advice for the realization of the exhibition.
1+1 services also include promotional, press and social media support, plus e-invitation+press release for the show (GR/EN) and website documentation.
Find the 2019 projects >>> here.
• Accommodation in a studio apartment with two separate bedrooms / shared studio space
• A curated four-day exhibition in downtown Athens
• Assistance in / advice for the setup of the exhibition
• Two guided visits at Unesco sites, museums and art venues
• Individual networking advice
• Promotion, social media support, press release
• E-invitation + Website documentation
Disciplines: Artists who work in the field of sculpture, painting, installation, photography, performance, textile art, comics, design or jewellery are invited to apply.
Application requirements: We accept applications by artist duos AND by individual artists who wish to get to know and share a studio with a fellow artist they have not met yet and are welcoming the challenge to turn this experience in a duo show. Please apply only if you are 30+ years old.
Residency duration: 14 days (13 nights) - the residency period begins on Monday and ends on Sunday.
Exhibition: 4 days (During the second week of the residency)
Price: 450 Euro / artist. The Price does not include travel fares, museums' and archaeological sites tickets, meals, artist material or print matter for the show.
How to apply: Email us your application with cover letter introducing yourself and stating your incentive to participate in the 1+1 residency project. Include your bio/cv and website (no social media pages or blog) or 6-8 images of your work (if no website available).
Application deadline: New dates will follow in spring for the second half of 2019
SACRED & PROFANE - ARCADIA WORKSHOP 2019/20
A 7-day Arcadia workshop for jewellery artists + presentation of their work
Art has always been connected to magic and mysteries.
The sacred, mythology and religion provided the source which art canalized into magical symbols, practices and rituals suggesting solace for existential agony and aspiring collectivities to bond, dare, create, flourish.
A seven day/six nights intensive workshop in performance, story telling, symbols & mysteries and objects' cultural history in Arcadia, Greece. Participants experience concepts of archaic thought and faith and retrieve the traces of myth in the homeland of Dionysus, Pan and the nymphs.
The Sacred & Profane workshop provides shared accommodation (in two bedrooms/two artists) in a large 19th century mansion and a shared working space in the picturesque town of Leonidio (>> click here to find it).
Participants share accommodation, studio, experiences and present their work in a special event at AYGO AGVO Art Space Leonidio at the end of their residency. Breakfast and snacks are served daily and are included in the fee.
Promotional, press and social media support, e-invitation plus press release for the show (GR/EN) and website documentation is included in the program services and fee. A participation certificate is granted. Minimum two and maximum six jewellery artists can participate.
• Performance Techniques - (4 hours)
• Performance Concept & Show Rehearsal - (4 hours)
• Introduction into ancient, Byzantine and contemporary Greek culture and jewellery art - (3 hours)
• Narrative und Story Board - (3 hours)
• The Sacred & The Profane: Apollo or Dionysus? Motifs, Symbols, Semiotics, Jewellery (3 hours)
• Jewellery Brainstorming: How to present it, whom to address, how to overcome the limits of the contemporary jewellery scene - (6 hours)
• A guided tour through the picturesque town of Leonidio and curated visits of its archaic and medieval monuments
• An art pilgrim to the monastery of St. Nikolaus build on the ruins of an ancient Dionysus temple inside the sacred cave where the Greek god has been raised by the nymphs, according to the legend
APPLICATION: Email us ( >> here ) your application with cover letter stating your incentive to participate including your website (no social media pages) or 6-8 pictures of your work and a short bio.
2 - 8 December 2019 OR
6 - 12 January 2020
PRICE: 750 € / jewellery artist. The fee does not include travel fees, meals, artist material.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 30 June 2019
THE TEXTILE QUARTET
Residency / Workshop / Exhibition in Arcadia / Greece
The Textile Quartet is an two-week artist residency and exhibition project for international artists who wish to explore Greece's rich textile tradition through a series of specialized workshops and present their work in an exhibition in Leonidio, Arcadia.
It addresses artists who (wish to) work with textile art / textile techniques / textile installation / textile and narrative / textile and performance / textile design.
The Textile Quartet provides shared accommodation (two bedrooms x two artists) in a 19th century mansion and a shared working space in Leonidio, Greece for 2-4 artists who learn, share experiences extend their knowledge about textile art.
Part of the program me is a four-day curated art show at AYGO AGVO Art Space, Leonidio, that takes place during the second week of the residency.
The Textile Quartet includes:
• A customized introduction into ancient, Byzantine and contemporary Greek culture and textile art (workshop 8 hours)
• A customized workshop on traditional Greek textile motifs and techniques (workshop 8 hours)
• An experimental textile brainstorming (workshop 5 hours)
• A textile and narrative group performance (3 hours)
• An experimental tool making workshop (3 hours)
• Local textile makers workshop visits
• 19th century city tour
• Customized networking advice
• A four-day exhibition in AYGO AGVO Art Space, Leonidio
• Curatorial advice for the realization of the exhibition
Promotional, press and social media support, plus e-invitation+press release for the show (GR/EN) and website documentation is included
Application: Individual artists or artists groups may apply.
Fee: 790 Euro / artist. The fee does not include travel fares, meals, artist material or print matter for the show.
Dates: Monday 25 May - Sunday 7 June 2020
OR Monday 15 - Sunday 28 June 2020
How to apply: Send your application with cover letter introducing yourself and stating your incentive to participate in The Textile Quartet, including your bio/cv and website (no social media pages or blog) or 6-8 images of your work (if no website available) via e-mail to us >>> here.
Application deadline: 31 July 2019
ATHENS FOR WRITERS
Our NEW writers residency programme will be announced soon.