SACRED & PROFANE - ARCADIA WORKSHOP 2019/20
A 7-day Arcadia workshop for jewellery artists + presentation of their work
Art has always been connected to magic and mysteries.
The sacred, mythology and religion provided the source which art canalized into magical symbols, practices and rituals suggesting solace for existential agony and aspiring collectivities to bond, dare, create, flourish.
A seven day/six nights intensive workshop in performance, story telling, symbols & mysteries and objects' cultural history in Arcadia, Greece. Participants experience concepts of archaic thought and faith and retrieve the traces of myth in the homeland of Dionysus, Pan and the nymphs.
The Sacred & Profane workshop provides shared accommodation (in two bedrooms/two artists) in a large 19th century mansion and a shared working space in the picturesque town of Leonidio (>> click here to find it).
Participants share accommodation, studio, experiences and present their work in a special event at AYGO AGVO Art Space Leonidio at the end of their residency. Breakfast and snacks are served daily and are included in the fee.
Promotional, press and social media support, e-invitation plus press release for the show (GR/EN) and website documentation is included in the program services and fee. A participation certificate is granted. Minimum two and maximum six jewellery artists can participate.
• Performance Techniques - (4 hours)
• Performance Concept & Show Rehearsal - (4 hours)
• Introduction into ancient, Byzantine and contemporary Greek culture and jewellery art - (3 hours)
• Narrative und Story Board - (3 hours)
• The Sacred & The Profane: Apollo or Dionysus? Motifs, Symbols, Semiotics, Jewellery (3 hours)
• Jewellery Brainstorming: How to present it, whom to address, how to overcome the limits of the contemporary jewellery scene - (6 hours)
• A guided tour through the picturesque town of Leonidio and curated visits of its archaic and medieval monuments
• An art pilgrim to the monastery of St. Nikolaus build on the ruins of an ancient Dionysus temple inside the sacred cave where the Greek god has been raised by the nymphs, according to the legend
APPLICATION: Email us ( >> here ) your application with cover letter stating your incentive to participate including your website (no social media pages) or 6-8 pictures of your work and a short bio. Applicants will be informed within one week after the end of the deadline.
2 - 8 December 2019 OR
6 - 12 January 2020
PRICE: 750 € / jewellery artist. The fee does not include travel fees, meals, artist material.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 16 August 2019
INITIATION - Performance, narrative and ritual
Intensive 7-day artist residency + workshop + public presentation in Athens, Greece
The Initiation workshop addresses international artists with a strong interest in a contemporary interpretation of ancient performance, theater, narrative, ceremony and ritual. The workshop offers a maximum of 8 artists a distinct opportunity to broaden their practice and knowledge and discover the symbols and physical expression of Greece's ancient rituals.
The Initiation workshop focuses on the trinity body – ritual – narrative and on the contrast between today's logical world and and the ancient mythology.
The 7-day workshop in Athens includes accommodation, performance workshop, guided visits to UNESCO sites and the experience of participating in a unique ancient community ritual. For detailed, please read the program below.
The Initiation workshop alludes to the dances and rituals performed to honor Demeter, the ancient Greek goddess of the plants and agriculture, and her daughter Persephone, queen of Hades (Underworld), during the ancient initiation rites in Eleusina which are known as the Eleusinian Mysteries.
The mysteries introduced the initiates into a blissful life and liberated them from the fear of death through the celebration of the cycle of nature and life, the sharing of food and knowledge inside the community, and the abolishment of social hierarchy.
The Eleusinian mysteries lasted for 2,000 years being on of the the most sacred events of the Greek-Roman world. Under a Christian disguise , the mysteries and the sacred architecture, the objects and doctrines continued to exist - up to the present day. Although destroyed in 395 AD, the site of Eleusina is still considered a most powerful archaeological venue in Greece.
Dance, performances, costumes, jewellery, tales, healing and social bonding were not separate instances and actions at the very beginning of art. The Initiation workshop's holistic approach to performance, dance and ritual aims at reuniting contemporary fragmented reality of contemporary art by linking physical expression to a strong narrative, to symbols and allegories.
• 7-day (6-night) residency including shared accommodation in central Athens (2 p.p. apartment / single room for each participant)
• Guided visits to the Acropolis complex (Temple of Olympian Zeus, Theater of Dionysos, Acropolis/Sacred Caves) and to Plato's Academy
• Guided visit to the National Archaeological Museum with the focus on the concepts: democracy and spirituality / theater, community bonding and healing / mysteries, sharing and transformation
• Guided visit to the archaeological site and museum of Eleusina
• Introduction to the meaning of ancient community rituals. Participation in a unique contemporary ritual still performed in Greece
• A tour to Athens' historical nucleus and visit to the "Gates to Hades"
• Performance workshop + practice (20 hours)
• Story telling workshop (3 hours)
• Development of the artist's concept and practice throughout the workshop
• Curated public event presenting the workshop participants' performances in a central Athens venue including PR, networking, Press and Social media promotion and documentation on the website and in the Social Media
Application requirements: Artists working with performance, visual and interdisciplinary art, multimedia art or design (jewellery, fashion) are encouraged to apply.
Application: E-mail us your application with cover letter to including a short introduction of yourself and a statement (each max. 200 words, CV, website link, 4 to 6 images of your work) stating your incentive to participate in the Initiation workshop.
We accept applications from artists working on a professional level. Please apply only if you are 30+ years old.
Sopport: FaveLAB supports the artist with communication, practical advice and assistance during the workshop and the preparation of the performance event. On request, FaveLAB can support the artist with an invitation letter.
Price: 760 Euros paid by each participant. The Fee does not include transport, travel fares, food, museum or site tickets. Each participant is asked to deposit a guarantee of 50 Euros at arrival.
Residency date: 18 - 24 November 2019
Application deadline: 1 September 2019
Max. participants: 8
Individual and customized workshops in Greece for artists and designers.
Through the platform Leave Your Crisis in Greece, FaveLAB also offers individual and customized workshops in Athens and Leonidio. For more information visit:
>>> Leave Your Crisis in Greece.